Wednesday, November 2, 2011

MOTS of love!!

My journey in becoming a sister in TBS has had its ups and downs but something I have truly learned this year is that my sisters are my family. We may have our moments of dysfunction, as every family does, but no matter what your sisters will always be there for you!
This is something I really came to realize during band camp this year. Before then I knew I was a part of our sorority but I didn’t feel close to very many girls and honestly I was jealous of the sisters with close bonds and even more so of one of my friends that was a brother. I watched her go through her journey to brotherhood and it broke my heart that I couldn’t muster up that much passion about being a sister. Things have changed though for sure!
Even before band camp began I went through the tough period of trying to decide if I wanted to put myself through it all again. I was so so passionate about this band program, but I was also terrified of being hurt again. I just didn’t want to be vulnerable and open myself up to that pain again. In the end through the encouragement of Shannon, Belinda, Kaitlyn, and countless others I decided the chance to be a part of this outweighed the fears of being cut again.
Of course as I went through preseason camp again the stress and emotions took over. I witnessed many break downs but I managed to hold myself together for the most part. Despite the roller coaster of emotions I truly enjoyed getting to help with uniforms and feel like a productive sister (something I didn’t feel like the year before because I felt that not being in the AUMB held me back). And while it’s hard again this year to watch the sisters working during the games I know that I am a part of this organization with or without being in the AUMB.
The day of and days after I got cut truly showed me how loving my sisters are. The morning after, I got a call from Britney Mason because she wanted to let me know that I was still wanted and needed as a sister.  I got encouraging words from Belinda and Allison and the multiple sisters that posted in our group really did help ease the hurt. I knew that this year was going to be different. Not just because of the encouragement but because I truly stepped into being a sister.
I have absolutely loved this semester even with the business of fall upon us all. This semester has been especially great because I got a little sister this year. And for those of you that don’t know I absolutely adore Elizabeth! I mean I don’t think a little and a big could be matched more perfectly!  I was nervous going in to first degree because of my shyness, but there wasn’t a moment of awkwardness (which says a lot since we are both self proclaimed generally awkward people).  I’m also glad that she knows her grand-big and great-grand-big; we make a nice Vestavia plus Brittany family!
I know that it’s still early but I can’t wait to get to know Elizabeth even better! I know I was nervous that I truly wanted to be friends to my little and that she wouldn’t want the same, but thus far I really don’t think that’s the case. I know this has been a bit of a gushing post but I am truly excited to continue to grow closer to my little and all of my sisters. I feel that I have found my place as a sister and found my passion for Tau Beta Sigma! I look forward to everything the future holds for me in TBS and I know my sisters will have my back!
As always,
MISCHIEF MANAGED!!

Current Book: The Lord of the Rings

Quote of the Day: "Washington is a lot like that. There was an Indian reservation near by, but I never saw any werewolves" ~ My English prof comparing where she lived in Washington to Twilight. After this she and another student discussed the new movie for a good 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment